The Regular Meeting of the School Board was called to order on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 6:09 P.M., in the School Board Room, 919 N. Broad Street, Brooksville, FL 34601, with Mrs. Beth Narverud, Chairperson, presiding, Mr. Mark Johnson, Vice Chairperson, and members, Ms. Susan Duval, Mr. Gus Guadagnino and Mrs. Linda Prescott, present. Also present were, Dr. Lori Romano, Superintendent; Mrs. Heather Martin, Deputy Superintendent; Mrs. Nancy Alfonso, Board Attorney.
B. Agenda Item (ID # 2626)
Students from Challenger K-8 School and Hernando High School who Attended the Academic Summer Camp Will Share Their Experiences with the Board. Mrs. Karen Jordan, Public Information came forward to introduce the students that attended two different academic summer camps came forward to share their experiences.
C. Agenda Item (ID # 2606) Accept a Donation of a 65" Smart Interactive Display from Smart Technologies Mr. Scott Piesik, Principal of Suncoast Elementary School came forward to represent this item.
ADOPTION OF CONSENT AGENDA
Board Member Duval asked for agenda item #10. 2616 and item #11. 2627 be pulled from the consent agenda for discussion.
1. Agenda Item (ID # 2609)
Approval of Personnel Recommendations
All Other Academic Services Division Agenda Items
2. Agenda Item (ID # 2598) Interagency Agreement with Youth and Family Alternatives, Inc. for 2017-2018
3. Agenda Item (ID # 2605) Approve Amended Out-Of-State Travel to Washington D.C. for Nature Coast Technical High School Seniors in March 2018
4. Agenda Item (ID # 2608) Out of State Travel to the AASA 2017 Early Learning Cohort October Meeting in Prince George's County, Maryland. Lara Silva, Principal of Chocachatti Elementary School Will be Attending.
5. Agenda Item (ID # 2611) Approval and Permission to Post the 2017-2018 State Uniform Assessment Calendar
6. Agenda Item (ID # 2614) Approval for Cathy Dofka, Director of Exceptional Student Support Services, to Travel Out-Of-State to Reno, Nevada to Participate in the Annual Council of Administrators of Special Education (CASE) Conference October 30, 2017, through November 3, 2017
All Other Business Services Division Agenda Items
7. Agenda Item (ID # 2604) Approval of Payment to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement
8. Agenda Item (ID # 2612) Approve Fiscal Year 2016-2017 Budget Amendment No. 4 for Quarter Ending June 30, 2017
All Other Support Operations Division Agenda Items
9. Agenda Item (ID # 2603)
Board Approval of the Roof Consulting Continuing Service Agreements with the Five Contractors Listed for Services and Authorize the Purchase of the Services for Estimated Annual Amount of $750,000.00 and Issue Purchase Orders as Needed
All Other Purchase Order/Bid Agenda Items
10. Item 10. 2616 was moved to ITEMS REMOVED FROM CONSENT AGENDA FOR ACTION
11. Item 11. 2627 was moved to ITEMS REMOVED FROM CONSENT AGENDA FOR ACTION
ITEMS REMOVED FROM CONSENT AGENDA FOR ACTION
Agenda Item (ID # 2616)
Approval of Contact with Ballard Partners, Inc. for Lobbying Services in 2017-18 in the Amount of $57,000
This item was pulled from the consent agenda by Board Member Duval for discussion. Mrs. Karen Jordan, Public Information Officer came forward to answer questions addressed by the board. Ms. Duval asked how much was the Ballard contract last year? Mrs. Jordan responded that the amount was for $57,000.00. Ms. Duval asked what have been the specific benefits to the district for the school year 2016-17? Mrs. Jordan explained they helped get us sparsity and project starfish. Ms. Duval asked if we have considered other lobbying firms? Mrs. Jordan stated we also use the Small School District Council Consortium for $2,850.00. Vice Chair Johnson explained he believes that Ballard has done a great job for the district. Board Chair, Narverud stated that starfish was the prior year. She also mentioned she has requested a list from Ballard showing some of the work they have done for the district. Mrs. Narverud stated she supports Ballard Partners and believes they are supports the needs of our district.
Agenda Item (ID # 2627)
Approve the Purchase of Student Industry Certification Exams from CIW Internet Business Associates and Issue a Purchase Order Estimated Annual Amount of $10,000.00
This item was pulled from the consent agenda by Board Member Duval for discussion. Ms. Duval requested the data at the end of the year that supports this purchase. Dr. Romano explained that that type of data is shared at the Superintendent's Annual State of the District Update. Dr. Romano suggested putting in a board information request. Ms. Duval asked for the request to be submitted.
Members of the board and Dr. Romano shared their appreciation for the staff that had helped and volunteered with the hurricane. Members of the district worked in collaboration with the Sheriff's Office and the County. Dr. Romano stated that the early release for this month is canceled. Dr. Romano read a prepared speech on how thankful she was to staff and the community.
The meeting adjourned at 6:50 P.M.