Rocco Maglio

Show Contributors: 

Rocco Maglio is a former Town Commissioner and Mayor of Melbourne Beach, FL. He grew up in Brooksville and is a graduate of Hernando High School as well as PHSC. He current works as a software architect with a strong interest in computer security.

Show Homepage: 

Colonel George C. Martin avoids being caught in court "totin' weepins"


Photo: Colonel George C. Martin- Brooksville, Florida. 19--? State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory

BROOKSVILLE - Colonel George C. Martin was law partner of William Sherman Jennings. Martin served as the campaign manager for his Jennings' campaign for governor. The campaign was successful and Jennings was Florida's 18th Governor from 1901-1905.

Martin was a well known Brooksville attorney and his legal arguments were legendary. In a memoir entitled Twenty Four Year In the Woods, On the Waters and in the Cities of Florida by Judge Harry A. Peeples from 1906, there are several stories about Martin. One of these stories that is particularly fantastic is included.

Springstead High School Web Design Academy builds site for a local business


Hernando County is not known to be a technological hot bed, but if you look carefully you will find that there is a lot going on locally. There are many local Information Technology companies who assist local businesses with their technology needs. There is a Computer Club in Spring Hill The local libraries put on many interesting technology events including Makerspaces.

Wawa Convenience Store Coming to Cortez Commons

A Wawa convenience store is opening here in Hernando County on December 17th. The upscale convenience store is located on the corner of 50 and Mariner in Cortez Commons (12984 Cortez Blvd). The opening of a new Wawa generates a lot of excitement. The initial store opening in Orlando in 2012 had many dignitaries in attendance including the Governor Rick Scott.

A list of 2015 Christmas/Holiday displays to checkout


Around the holidays many people like to visit beautiful displays of lights. Homosassa Springs Park puts on an amazing display of lights. The lights are set to music. The Celebration of Lights can be enjoyed from Saturday, December 19 to Saturday, December 26, from 5:30pm to 9:00pm EST with the exception of Christmas evening.

Christmas Revived Behind the Doors of Rogers' Christmas House

Preperations Underway for Rogers' Christmas House Opening

Rogers’ Christmas House began as a Christmas section within the Rogers’ Department Store in Downtown Brooksville. As the popularity of the Christmas venue grew, Margaret "Weenie" Ghiotto (Rogers) expanded the business into the iconic five cottage complex that many remember with fondness. Ghiotto passed away in 2006 and the Christmas House sadly closed its doors in 2010. However the new owners of the property, Greg and Dorothea Stephens, are ushering in a new era for the Christmas House.

Update on Lake Townsend Renaming


This is an update on the story about renaming Lake Townsen back to its original name Lake Townsend. To recap Istachatta Historian Melba Ward recently passed away. She wanted the see Lake Townsen have its “d” restored. The lake was named after the town’s founder and postmaster Francis M. Townsend. She said that she “would like to paint a ‘d’ on the signs, but everyone would know it was her.”

Correcting the Historical Mistake at Lake Townsend

Lake Townsen Sign

Istachatta Historian Melba Ward recently passed away. She left behind her book Istachatta: History of the First Hundred Years 1850-1950 as well as a corresponding genealogical anthology of the area that outweighs her history book by hundreds of pages. A few months ago, she remarked that something she wanted to see fixed was the name of Lake Townsen near Istachatta. The lake was named after the town’s founder and postmaster Francis M. Townsend. He built a ferry across the Withlacoochee River in hopes of getting a stagecoach to go through.

Luigi’s Pizza excellent Italian Food


Luigi’s Pizza is an unpretentious restaurant next to Bud Mckethan Park in Brooksville. They offer pizzas, pastas, seafood, sandwiches, and more.

Luigi’s Pizza has been run by the Kirshy family since 1970. They started in a storefront up the road a bit and after a few years moved to their present location. They have been in their present location for around 30 years.


Subscribe to RSS - Rocco Maglio