Bimini's Isle is an island on the coast of Hernando County and has the perfect name. Named for one of the owners, Margaret Robins' nickname was Bimini and Bimini's Isle was actually made of two islands connected by a causeway. The word Bimini means "two islands" in Lucayan.
Something that is very important to those old enough to recall is when electric power service first became available. Historian Frasier Mountain illuminated the importance of this by speaking for a significant amount of time on when electrical service came to different areas of the county. This was literally a life altering experience for the the residents of the area and they remember when electricity first became available where they lived.
The Board of County Commissioners honored Billy E. Brown with a resolution on May 23, 2017.
Brown has worked for the Withlacoochee River Electric Cooperative, Inc. (WREC) since October 16, 1956. He started with WREC in the Line/Operations Department, earning $1.10-an-hour. He quickly advanced to supervisory positions in Warehousing, Member Services and Billing. He served as District Manager in Brooksville during the 60’s and has held the position of Executive Vice President and General Manager since 1973.
The Bradley massacre was an indian attack on a Capt. Robert Duke Bradley's homestead during the Third Seminole War. Two of Bradley's children were killed in the attack which happened in Hernando County on May 14, 1856. On June 2, 1887, Hernando county was split into three counties the site of the Bradley massacre was located in the new Pasco county. It is located about five miles south of Hernando county on Bellamy Brother's Road. There is a historical marker on the east side of the road just past Darby Road as you head south.
In the early days of Hernando county and Brooksville an important figure was John Cabell (J.C.) Burwell. J.C. Burwell was the editor and publisher of The Brooksville Star which he started in 1888. The Brooksville Star was a weekly paper which came out on Friday and was associated with the Democratic Party. It had a circulation of around 500 people.
It has been 50 years since the founding of Spring Hill. Spring Hill's grand opening took place on April 30th, 1967. The president of the Deltona Corporation Frank L. Mackle Jr., presented the official dedication speech. He spoke about how he looked forward to the future of the development "with Excitement." According to Frank E.
The community of Spring Lake can trace its origins back to the 1840s. It first appeared on maps around that time and slowly grew into a small community.
The genesis of the Brooksville Army field now known as the Brooksville–Tampa Bay Regional Airport came during World War II. A multi-county committee representing the Hernando County Chamber of Commerce met with US Senator Claude Pepper asking for his help in convincing the Army Air Force to create an army base on the lands controlled by the Withlacoochee Forest land use development program. The committee was comprised of John Wallace who served as Project Manager for the creation of the Withlacoochee Forest for the Resettlement Administration, Sheriff Neil F.