History

‘Mama Allie’ — Lykes Matriarch

December 12, 2017 - 08:48
“Mama Allie,” Almeria Belle Mackay Lykes, via International Museum of Women.

“Mama Allie,” the matriarch of the Lykes Family, mother to seven sons and one daughter, is being honored by the International Museum of Women’s Pillar Program. Almeria Belle Mackay Lykes, youngest child of Captain James Mackay Sr., a Tampa shipping and real estate tycoon and wife to Dr. Howell T. Lykes was known by her family as “Mama Allie.” In order to celebrate her contributions to her community and family, Lykes family members made generous donations to the International Museum of Women Pillar Program in her honor.  

Hernando County entries in the National Register of Historic Places

December 05, 2017 - 12:35
The Chinsegut Hill Manor House is set on top of Chinsegut Hill

There are eight entries in the National Register of Historic Places for locations in Hernando County. The listing that has been there the longest is the May-Stringer House which was added on March 8, 1997. The newest listing was added a little over a month ago on October 12, 2017 and is the Richloam General Store and Post Office. In addition to those two, there are the Chinsegut Hill Manor House, William Sherman Jennings House, Judge Willis Russell House, Frank Saxon House, South Brooksville Avenue Historic District, and the Spring Lake Community Center.

Men who made Towns

November 28, 2017 - 00:44
Map of Benton County with the town of Augusta

The origin of many of the towns in our area can be traced back to a single family or man. Sometimes it was the first man to make the river crossing easier. The settlers from miles around would use that river crossing and merchants would come to the river crossing and sell their wares. A town would start to grow where all the people gathered. Another origin of the these towns was protection. Newly arrived settlers would want to live near a well established family, so they could gather at that house in case of attack.

The assassination of Judge William Center: one of many murders after reconstruction

August 29, 2017 - 10:07
Oldest portion of the current county courthouse, built in 1913 by J.F. Jenkins and Company

County Judge William Center was assassinated outside his home in Brooksville on June 4, 1879 in the early morning. According to his family and newspaper accounts at the time, Judge William Center was about to reveal who had set fire to the Hernando County Courthouse in 1877 when he was assassinated.

Richloam General Store aims for designation on the National Register of Historic Places

August 18, 2017 - 07:54

The Board of County Commissioners received a letter from Ruben A. Acosta, Florida Department of State, Bureau of Historic Preservation, informing the county of the Richloam General Store’s nomination for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.

The nomination proposal will be in front of a review board on Thurs. Aug. 10. If the board finds that the property meets the criteria, then a formal nomination will be submitted to the Keeper of the National Register in Washington D.C. for a final decision.

Recollections of William Hope, early Hernando County settler

August 01, 2017 - 10:07
Residence of Samuel Hope on the Anclote River - Pinellas County, Florida. On right are Mr. & Mrs. William Hope?  Samuel E. Hope and Mary Hope. Children are May, Edward, James and Ella.

Editor’s Note: William Hope lived from 1808 to 1898. He was an early settler of Hernando County and the postmaster of the post office established in Melendez (one of the towns that became Brooksville). The Hope family is considered one of the founding families of Brooksville. In January 9, 1891, William gave an interview about his life to W. F. Stovall, editor and publisher of the Polk City News.

This article is provided courtesy of Robert Martinez, Old Brooksville In Photos & Stories.

Early days of Spring Hill

July 17, 2017 - 09:44
Spring Hill Drive and 19 April 25, 1967 submitted by Janet Croft

The 50th anniversary of the grand opening of Deltona Corp’s Spring Hill community was on April 30 of this year. The county and Hernando County Chamber of Commerce will be commemorating the anniversary on July 27th at The Lake House, which was once Spring Hill’s community center. It was here where early residents gathered for community picnics and celebrations.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - History